Thursday, October 13, 2011

An Ode to Libraries

Yesterday I heard a guy mention to a group that bookstores and libraries are all going to become extinct just like music stores.  Hmmm. This comment gave me pause. I have worked at and frequented both bookstores and  libraries and  admittedly have a soft spot in my heart for both.  I think the man who made this comment has never looked to a librarian as a resource for information.

 Libraries and librarians are an amazing often overlooked source of information and/or direction on where to best find the information.  One key component to what I think will allow libraries to endure is that they are free.  Sophia and I have been frequenting the local library and are overwhelmed by the resources for free provided to us.  The librarians often put on interactive readings with craft projects for children.  There are touch screen computers with great children's learning games.  And then there are the incredible selections of books and movies that the children can check out.  It is so empowering for a little one to come up with books of movies they want to check out on their own.  I have always loved libraries but it is thrilling to share this love now with my daughter





No comments:

Post a Comment