Thursday, August 4, 2011

No Name Leather

The art of home crafted goods.  Yes Etsy is a great way to find hand hewn treasures now but what about fairs? I loved going to art fairs as a kid.  The Art Fair at Queeny Park in St. Louis always being top of the list.  Now it seems like so often the goods are all imported or just too expensive.  This summer I happened upon 2 great folks selling nice hand crafted goods.

One was at the The Colorado Renaissance Festival. "No Name Leathers" is the name of the shop.  Really lovely pieces. I asked if the owner had a website.  His response was the only web he had was in the corner from the spider.  A bit of a crusty soul but a great artisan.  I bought my sister a beautiful belt for her birthday, a wallet for my husband and a hair piece for my daughter.  His dyes were so vibrant especially the reds and greens.  It was great to see him actually crafting handbags while we watched.  Oh how I wish he would sell other than the 6 weeks the fair goes on.  Wow he makes his living 6 weekends out of the year.  Can you imagine?!

The second place was in the Indian Village at Cheyenne's Frontier Days.  There was a tent set up with some really amazing leather and beaded items such as shoes, handbags and jewelry.  The folks there were not the artisans but the pieces were still very cool.  They hand these hand made leather satchels mixed with hounds tooth. Great design and you are not paying for any body's logo!

No comments:

Post a Comment