Monday, August 15, 2011

Old Wives' Tales, Do Tell!

I love old sayings almost as much as old movies.  This morning on my neighborhood stroll with dogs and Sophia in tow...well dogs in tow, Sophia running loose and creating general havoc, I stopped to chat with a couple of folks.  The general consensus based on sayings from their childhood (somewhat long ago that was if you will) was that the first freeze is near.  The first saying is that when locusts sing, the first freeze is 6 weeks away.  Based on the first neighbor's math that means September 10.  The other one was something about spiders spinning webs means winter is near.  Oh my based on this last one, I would believe it! I feel like I am cleaning webs twice a day right now.  What other old sayings or superstitions did you grow up with?  Be interesting to see if that first freeze comes by September 10!


No comments:

Post a Comment